Thursday, July 2, 2015

Happy Fourth of July!!!

It's almost Independence Day!!  I cannot believe that half of 2015 is already gone.  Wow!  I wanted to show off my cute door hanger to you.  Isn't it cute?  I bought the unfinished wood at a store here in Utah last year.  I couldn't decide how I wanted to paint and decorate it.  It was too big to use a sheet of 12x12 for the back star and I really didn't want to cut out paper for all the beadboard on the front star.  So this is what I came up with.


I used acrylic paint on the back star in cherry cobbler.  With the beadboard star, I used some gel stain I had left over from my kitchen cabinets.  Rubbed that all over, set it out on the back patio to dry.  Wait, wait...then I used acrylic paint in white on top of it.  Lightly sand, then used wood glue and some heavy books to let it set overnight.
Embellishing it was an even harder decision than the initial star painting.  But I really like the simplicity of it.  I wanted to add some navy but all I had was that skinny ribbon.  Luckily I also had some burlap ribbon from Stampin' Up!.  I cut enough to wrap the front and used scotch tape to hold it on the back.  That way I didn't waste a bunch wrapping all the way around.  Then I took some navy ribbon, taped one end and looped it around the burlap.  Taping it securely on the other side.  I also used some rusty wire I picked up at a craft store in Salt Lake City to make the hanger portion. Wrapped the ends around a pencil a few times and woo lah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment