Friday, July 31, 2015

Life Is Good...

A few years back, Stampin' Up! offered a line called Decor Elements.  This included vinyls and stencils.  Most of them matched some stamp set in the catalog.  They had lots of cute ones, and I bought a few while they were available.  So plan on seeing a few more vinyl projects in future posts.  :)

When I bought this one, I couldn't decide what to do with it.  I knew I wouldn't be living where I was at the time for too long.  So I didn't really want to put it on the wall because it wouldn't be re-usable once removed. Flash forward 2 moves and a different state to now.

I bought my first ever home (by myself!) and decided it was time for decorating.  By this time, Stampin' Up! had discontinued their decor elements line so I was hesitant, again, to put it directly on the wall.  Would if I wanted to paint the walls?  Would if after a few years I upgraded to a bigger home?  I don't think it would be appropriate to cut out that piece of wall...would it?

By this time, pinterest was a common thing and pallet projects were All.The.Rage.  I saw lots of DIY headboards, garden planters, tables, etc.  So I thought, why not put this on some pallet board and that way it moves with me!!

I have this AWESOME friend who works in a model shop.  He is a genius with his job and I have been blessed to have his help with many of my home projects.  His expertise, time, and willingness to help me has been a godsend.

So I talked to him about what I wanted to do.  I wanted to get some pallet boards, make them really thin and light so I could hang this without anchors.  I said I wanted to whitewash it to look kinda like weathered.  And he took on the challenge with a big smile.

I whitewashed each slat individually with just cheap acrylic paint from Michael's, mixed with water.  I did a few layers until I was satisfied with the look.  I wanted to still be able to see the wood grain through the paint.  Then he put some slats across the back to hold all the front pieces together and to give me something to attach to the wall.  I chose to use a screw on each end and wire across.  Applied the vinyl and DONE!!!

Here is the final result!  I love it and couldn't be happier!!


No comments:

Post a Comment